FMP / WEEK 7 & 8 / Production and Conclusions

24th April – 5th May // Week 7&8

The two week buildup to the final show and exhibition is here, and after a successful easter break following book work, painting and clarification of ideas, i have moved towards choosing my final location for my final show. During week 7, i reviewed my shoots over the previous weeks and the direction my idea has moved towards. After looking at the beginning of my journal and online posts and comparing, i realised that the main theme of my idea has been apparent throughout all my work. This being a focus on social housing and development, the beautifying of these areas through my edits and what is there or left behind, aswell as the documental side, exploring and looking further into the local areas that have surrounded me for years. I then began to move forward with the idea, realising that it  is very different to what i have previously explored, usually focusing on more architectural and minimalist aspects. However, i have enjoyed the change and challenge of communicating ideas in a new way, pushing myself to create an exciting project that is personal to me, whilst overcoming and working with issues that have arisen.

During a recent group crit i explained that quite a few of my friends have lived on estates for as long as i have known them, and strangely i have always been fascinated in the development and community side to these places. I also explained my decision so far to leave people and friends out of my imagery, as i wanted to purely document the style of housing and building types. Social estates have been a huge influence on modern architecture and utopian type community areas, pushing idealistic boundaries of living. Choosing to start exploring the idea fit in perfectly with the timing of UCA, as i have always wanted to document the areas that have been strangely fascinating to me. Possibly creating a book or sequential pieces in large format and presenting as a final idea is something that i have always wanted to do, and concluding this project with this is an exciting ending to a year that has been important in me finding my style and place within lens based work.

I began week 8 looking and preparing for my final shoot by revising previous images and drawing imagery from these, aswell as using feedback to conclude my final layout for the exhibition. I would have liked to have had these shoots done by end of week 7, however, the weather did not work in my favour aswell as my planning for what i am looking for. I am cutting it very fine as the real challenge is creating this imagery within a week and a half of the final shots being needed for exhibition, however i believe that this only pushes me further to go and explore my idea. I also have enjoyed being a lot more open and easy with my work in the last couple of weeks, allowing me to explore without the ‘boundaries’ of having to create and plan. Essentially I aim to have the shots ready by the start of week 9, ready for editing and printing for the book and walls, whilst still developing book work and playing around with my final concept.

Easter Break Review // 2 Weeks // 10-23rd April

10th-23rd April / Easter Break

After Week 6 and the concluding evaluation we participated in, the easter break begun. 2 Weeks working outside the studio was a daunting problem as i like to be constantly producing sheets or small paintings and so forth, therefore i would have to make do with resources outside of UCA. This was something that i realised came under the research we did on problem solving, therefore i explored as many avenues with my book work in order to catch up and produce visual pages exploring my idea. I enjoyed not knowing specifically my task everyday as it allowed me to take risks and explore my idea further.

I began by sorting my images out into chosen folders in order to make progress within the book examples easier. It also allowed me to look at previous shoots and recognise where i need to improve. I also researched the area’s i had explored, for instance Margate and Canterbury, and the history behind the social estates and area’s. Each couple of days, i documented what i was doing, whether it be new ideas or influences in order to keep up with the demand of work i need. I realised that during the first week i did leave work and not finish it, therefore making me work harder in the second week to produce outcomes and evaluate. I used many different materials during the break such as image transfer, paint, charcoal, wood offcuts and so forth (documented in my Sketchbook).

I evaluated the areas i had visited, explaining my choices of local areas instead of further away (e.g London) aswell as concluding ideas and where my project has ended up. I decided to explore one more new area – Aylesham – in order to create a final piece that coherently fits in with the work i have been doing, aswell as injects new imagery into the project. Aylesham was built in the 1920’s to accommodate workers at nearby coal mines, and is an interesting and strangely utopian/eery area. Not short of countryside beauty or services, however it does seem to fit in with my idea of social housing and this utopian community idea so well. The area also has been identified by the Dover Local Plan as a location for expansion, continuing my interest in documenting area’s of development and change in architecture/landscape.