15th – 26th May // Week 9&10
At the beginning of the 9th week, i had my completed shoots and found successful imagery, reflecting my interests and progression so far.
I began to plan what i needed to do in order to complete my final exhibition in time. I started the week with the clear idea of keeping my space simple and minimalistic, reflecting upon the area’s only and the spaces within the images. I had a group crit and a talk with a tutor about creating my book and selecting the final imagery. I concluded that i would include previous images from shoots earlier on in the project and combine them all to showcase the different locations all in one. I chose imagery from a number of locations, combining simple elements from each photograph to pair them together. I designed my book online on blurb, using the Bookwright tool, and kept the layout simple to reflect the imagery in a modern approach. I also included nouns on same pages, of simple descriptions of words commonly attached to the area’s of interest. I also decided on a final title for my project, naming the book ‘Turf – a collection of spaces’. What i really liked about this title was the images it instantly reflects, Greenery, shown through my search for beauty and nature within the shots, aswell as the representation of someone else’s space. When visiting the locations, i was always on someone else’s ‘turf’.
I began to also finalise my proposal, not rewriting it to much but adding bits of information, aswell as my statement and evaluation. This i documented through my journal, planning on what i need to include in the pieces of writing. As soon as the book arrived (thanks blurb), i put my selected 4 images in for printing and prepared the space by painting and cleaning the floors so it would be clean and ready for presentation. I chose 4 images that reflected the spaces i had visited in a compositional way, aswell as using my planning to choose 4 that worked together well. This allowed me to evaluate my area and see where each image would look best, aswell as constructing a shelf for my book with help from my tutor. Having two people help put the space up meant that i could see whether they were placed right and receive feedback. I really enjoyed this as it has helped me prepare for future exhibitions by analysing and being selective with what i wanted to show. I carried on evaluating and finished of sketchbooks, still drawing and exploring ideas. I played around with the idea of showing drawings of the images i had taken also, however decided that they work better with my sketchbook and development work.
After the last shoot i had completed, i realised that i work best when i am more spontaneous, therefore allowing myself to be free when working. I think this shows through my research styles and how my project has developed over the course of the FMP. On Monday and Tuesday (22nd and 23rd) i collected my imagery and placed them on the wall, with help from my tutor in preparation for the deadline. My aim was to completed my exhibition space by Wednesday, in order to focus on completing my written work, blog and review of my project. By Thursday i had completed the final parts of my exhibition space and also written up all final documents ready for Friday. Whilst writing the evaluation, i realised how far my idea had come and felt an enormous sense of achievement in how far i have come over the last year of the course, especially the FMP. It has been a really encouraging year for me, seeing all different works of art, taking in new knowledge and research and also developing my own ideas into a real project and exhibition. Everything i have learnt this year has really pushed and inspired me to work with my ideas and explore as much as possible, something i was not so confident in before. I am really happy with the final outcomes and definitely believe i can build upon the project in the future, hopefully showcasing new imagery and building upon my development further.
FINAL / SHELF / 4 A1’S
testing with a3
Tools / shelf
Testing with a3 before printing