FMP / WEEK 7 & 8 / Production and Conclusions

24th April – 5th May // Week 7&8

The two week buildup to the final show and exhibition is here, and after a successful easter break following book work, painting and clarification of ideas, i have moved towards choosing my final location for my final show. During week 7, i reviewed my shoots over the previous weeks and the direction my idea has moved towards. After looking at the beginning of my journal and online posts and comparing, i realised that the main theme of my idea has been apparent throughout all my work. This being a focus on social housing and development, the beautifying of these areas through my edits and what is there or left behind, aswell as the documental side, exploring and looking further into the local areas that have surrounded me for years. I then began to move forward with the idea, realising that it  is very different to what i have previously explored, usually focusing on more architectural and minimalist aspects. However, i have enjoyed the change and challenge of communicating ideas in a new way, pushing myself to create an exciting project that is personal to me, whilst overcoming and working with issues that have arisen.

During a recent group crit i explained that quite a few of my friends have lived on estates for as long as i have known them, and strangely i have always been fascinated in the development and community side to these places. I also explained my decision so far to leave people and friends out of my imagery, as i wanted to purely document the style of housing and building types. Social estates have been a huge influence on modern architecture and utopian type community areas, pushing idealistic boundaries of living. Choosing to start exploring the idea fit in perfectly with the timing of UCA, as i have always wanted to document the areas that have been strangely fascinating to me. Possibly creating a book or sequential pieces in large format and presenting as a final idea is something that i have always wanted to do, and concluding this project with this is an exciting ending to a year that has been important in me finding my style and place within lens based work.

I began week 8 looking and preparing for my final shoot by revising previous images and drawing imagery from these, aswell as using feedback to conclude my final layout for the exhibition. I would have liked to have had these shoots done by end of week 7, however, the weather did not work in my favour aswell as my planning for what i am looking for. I am cutting it very fine as the real challenge is creating this imagery within a week and a half of the final shots being needed for exhibition, however i believe that this only pushes me further to go and explore my idea. I also have enjoyed being a lot more open and easy with my work in the last couple of weeks, allowing me to explore without the ‘boundaries’ of having to create and plan. Essentially I aim to have the shots ready by the start of week 9, ready for editing and printing for the book and walls, whilst still developing book work and playing around with my final concept.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s